Tape in hair extensions are a semi-permanent hair extension that are for professional use only and should be applied in a salon by a trained professional! Some people think you just "tape on" or stick the "tape extensions" on your hair one by one-FALSE! They need to be taped in-NOT ON! Tape in hair extensions do not get simply taped on-you would be surprised the amount of people that actually just stick them on their head and go-we wish! Sticking tape extensions to your hair will not work properly and they will fall out within a few hours. Tape in hair extensions are taped in bonds in between your own hair, they are bonded together in a "sandwich" in between your own hair. They are designed to last 8-12 weeks and are reusable for 3-4 applications. They are made with a strong medical grade adhesive and with proper application and maintenance they usually not slip for at least 8 weeks. Tape in hair extensions can not be applied by yourself or a friend-they simply will not last because the tape bonds need to be applied precisely to bond together correctly.
Top reasons why tape extensions slip
- Improper Application: The number one reason why tape extensions slip is that they are applied outside of the salon or you applied them yourself-this is the most common reason why tape extensions slip. If you had your friend apply them and you expect them to last as if you went to a professional, you're setting yourself up for disappointment as they will slip. ALSO: Going to a salon where the hairstylist is not trained will also make them slip. The hairstylist may not know how to properly apply them. Ask the hairstylist, are they certified in tape in hair extensions? The answer should be yes! Putting too much or too little hair in between the bonds will cause the hair to slip. Clarifying must be done three times too. Also, at the time of reapplication, the tape wefts must be properly cleaned and reapplied. Again, all of this is learned through proper tape in hair extension certification.
- Same Day Chemical Treatments: Hair color or chemical treatments done the same day of a tape in application will cause slippage. Chemical processing of your own hair (all color, keratin etc) should be done a week before tape in application.
- Product Buildup: Excess product buildup breaks down the tape. No alcohol or oil based products should be used while wearing tape extensions, it will break tape adhesive down much faster. Be sure to use special hair extension hair care to ensure long lasting tape extensions.
- Thin or Super Fine Hair: If you have thin or fine hair, you will need to have your tape extensions applied differently. For women with thin or fine hair, you must have the tape extensions installed using the Single Sided tape in method!
- Naturally Oily Scalp/Hair: There are those that have excess oil and have naturally oily hair. Tape extensions won't hold as long and you will need to replace your tape extensions more frequently-every 6 weeks to so.
How many times we have hear that the hair stylist looked up on Youtube "how to apply tape in extensions" and thinks they know how to apply tape in extensions properly. Without any proper training they "apply" the hair and then the hair extensions fall out within a short time after application. Tape in extensions do not just fall out, ever. They don't just slip out with proper application. The only reason this would happen to someone is if their hair stylist is not properly trained. Improper placement or applications will cause the hair to slip, adding too much or too little hair will cause the tape to slip. Even something as little as TOUCHING the tape tabs with their fingers during application can be the cause. Proper application is so important and it's the only way the product will work!
In addition, Sulfate free shampoo and conditioner should be used. Shampoo and conditioner with sulfates break down the tape over time, allowing the tape in hair extensions to slip as the tape breaks down. Also, any hair care products with alcohol should not be used on the tape bonds as this will also break down the adhesive over time. Using the right products along with keeping all products off the tape bonds will ensure you have a strong bond that lasts for 3 months. Hair oils, sprays, conditioners should NEVER be applied directly on the bonds or it will break down faster.Have you learned these little things?